Thanks to the lovely guys at Medela, myself and Jo have been able to road test two of their leading breast pumps. We both have completely different needs when it comes to pumping, so the team at Medela used their expert knowledge to choose which pumps would be the most appropriate for each of us. For me, they chose the Swing Maxi Flex.
If you follow us on social media you may know that I (Victoria) have recently given birth to twin girls. As you can imagine, I don’t have a lot of time on my hands, as said hands are usually full of babies. I wasn’t sure how I was going to feed them, but I did know that I wanted them to have as much of my breast milk as possible, even if only for a few weeks. So when Medela got in touch and kindly gifted me the Swing Maxi Flex, I was really pleased as I’d heard such great things about Medela pumps from other mums.
The Maxi Flex is a double electric breast pump with 2-Phase Expression technology, which means it mimics a babies rhythmic sucking to make the whole experience more pleasant, which I can confirm it really does! Pumping shouldn’t hurt at all (if it does, please speak to your midwife) but this pump is certainly more comfortable than the pump I bought for my first baby. I gave up pumping after two weeks with that, but I’m still using this one three months on!
Pros and Cons
- Double the pump = less time expressing. Time is very precious when you have a newborn (or two!!)
- It comes with minimal parts so is easy to sterilise
- Very easy to use
- Comfortable when you get the hang of it
- Having a double pump means you do have to use both hands. Although, Medela have thought of this and sell an Expression Bustier which you can pop the pump into, which makes the pump hands free.
- It is a bit noisy, but to be honest I’ve not heard a pump that isn’t!
If there is anything we haven’t covered (Jo’s review of the Swing Flex is coming soon), please do get in touch as we are both more than happy to answer any questions about these two pumps or pumping in general. Also don’t forget to come and find us and our Medela Highlight over on Instagram.com/sheandhem
Hope this post got you really pumped!